Southwestern Center for Independent Living


Select a Service:


[Information & Referral]

[Peer Counseling]

[Skills Training]

[Veteran Services]

[Veterans Directed Home and Community Based Services (VDHCBS)]

[Community Services]

[Youth School Groups]

[Ramp Program]

[Social Recreation]

[Additional Indepedent Living Services]

[Relocation to Community Based Living]

[Support Planner Services]


Veteran Services

It is not SWCIL’s intent to offer these services in lieu of benefits that a veteran can receive from the US Department of Veterans Affairs, state veteran services, programs offered by their respective unit and those offered by agencies affiliated with federal or state Veteran programs.


  • Information and Referral – Available to anyone interested in securing disability related information or in accessing an appropriate resource referral. General information available through the Center represents local, regional, statewide and national resources.
Services available for individuals (often done at the individual’s residence):
  • Advocacy – Individual and Systems – Provided on an individual, community and systems level. Consumers can request training/assistance in advocating for specific needs or services.
  • Independent Living Skills Training – Designed to assist in developing or enhancing personal daily living skills to attain or maintain the desired level of independent functioning. These may include:
    • Budgeting/Financial Management
    • Job Search & Interviewing Skills
    • Obtaining & Maintaining Employment
    • Records Management
    • Assistance Locating Housing
    • Assistance Locating Community Resources
    • Personal Growth/Social Skills/Leisure Time Use

    • This training is individualized based on the needs of the consumer.

    • Social Security Applications & Appeals – Due to the volume of requests SWCIL receives for assistance in this area please contact our office at 1-800-422-1485 or 507-532-2221 for details on this service.

    These programs are available in the following counties: Chippewa, Cottonwood, Jackson, Lac qui Parle, Lincoln, Lyon, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone, Redwood, Renville, Rock & Yellow Medicine.


    • America's Heroes at Work – Addresses the employment challenges of returning Service Members and Veterans living with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and/or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Resources include the recently released Veterans Hiring Toolkit for employers..
    • – Comprehensive information about benefits programs available to Veterans and their families
    • – Information and resources for Veterans covering benefits, education, employment, health and housing
    • Disability Benefits for Wounded Warriors – Military Service Members can receive expedited processing of disability claims from the Social Security Administration. Benefits available through Social Security are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs and require a separate application.
    • – The U.S. Office of Personnel Management’s government-wide Veterans employment website
    • HUDVet – National, state and local housing information for Veterans from the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
    • Job Accommodation Network – Information about job accommodations and workplace supports for Veterans
    • myVA – Information about benefits for Veterans, including health care, job assistance, education support through the GI Bill and home loans
    • National Resource Directory – Provides access to services and resources at the national, state and local levels to support the recovery, rehabilitation and community reintegration of Veterans and Service Members.
    • Office of Disability Employment Policy – Offers a variety of resources to help Veterans with disabilities understand training and employment services that may be available to them.
    • Patriot Express – A program of the U.S. Small Business Administration that helps Veterans and members of the military community who want to establish or expand a small business
    • – First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden are calling on all Americans to support Service Members and their families, and the Corporation for National and Community Service can help you do that.
    • Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration – Provides for the mental heath and behavioral health needs of Veterans and their families.
    • – Offers information about benefits, health care, job training and other programs for Veterans.
    • VAntage Point – The Official Blog of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
    • Veterans' Employment & Training Service – Helps Veterans obtain meaningful careers, maximize their employment opportunities and protect their employment rights.


  Southwestern Center for Independent Living               109 South Fifth Street, Suite 700                Marshall, MN 56258
Phone:  (507) 532-2221 (V/TTY)       Toll free: (800) 422-1485 (V/TTY)     Fax:  (507) 532-2222        Email:


© 2010 Southwestern Center for Independent Living.--All Rights Reserved